Thursday 26 January 2012

Balancing differences

Tonight I came home from work feeling relieved. Elated that my working week was finished and looking forward to 3 days at home, pottering, baking, playing. A wee happy tune may have been whistled. I almost skipped up the path.

The nanny was released from duties. Quick tidy up. 2 boys bathed, stories, bed. Done.

But then husband wanted to talk about our great escape. He was looking for reassurance that we're doing the right thing, making sure I didn't have any nagging doubts and wanting me to dispel the nagging doubts he had.

But I just don't work that way. Once I make a decision, that's it. Sometimes it can take me a while to make the decision, but once it's made, there's very little that can un-make it. If I have any niggling doubts, I find solutions. I don't just leave them hanging, like loose threads.

Husband on the other hand, worries those loose threads until they threaten to unravel...I began to feel distinctly 'stabby'. Prickly. Cactus like. I'm pretty sure I visibly bristled.

Poor husband. Sensibly, he backed off. Poor, poor husband.

It's funny that we're so different on the decision-making front. But I guess that's where we balance each other out. I'd be happy to charge ahead, figuring out solutions to problems as I go, putting my trust in my own abilities, crossing my fingers and knowing that we'll get there in the end.

Husband likes to have everything sorted out, organised, planned for before it all goes tits up. He likes to have a contingency plan for every eventuality and know exactly where things could go wrong.

It drives me nuts. But between us, we find a happy medium. I'm the confidence, the driving force, the dreamer. He's the obsessive planner, the steady hand, the feet planted firmly on solid ground.

By gum, I love that man.

I'll soothe his worries later. I know, he knows we're doing the right thing. But I also know we'll get there in the end.

Craving this view: Sunset at the beach in December. Chilly but gorgeous.

"When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision. “ The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho


"when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on in, the water's lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin