Thursday 16 June 2011

Hurrah!

You can't beat a bit of bunting

I've been debating for a couple of days about writing this post. I guess I didn't want to alienate anybody (assuming anyone bothers to read this post of course - they may not!). Weightloss, or rather my weightloss ishoos aren't exactly everyone's cup of chai.

But then I decided to write it anyway (well, duh...!). I'm a firm believer in 9 months on, 9 months off. But since my gorgeous little baby is now 10 11 months old (whaaaaaaaat?!) it's about time I did something about the extra baby weight I'm having to lug around.

Truth be told, I never really got round to losing the first lot of baby weight. Oops.

Trouble is, I adore food. I love cake and I'm utterly addicted to chocolate. Usually when I want to lose a bit of poundage I dust off my trainers and pound the pavement. But 2 boys that like to rise with the larks, an allotment and a job leaves me little time. But the time evening rolls around I'm either catching up on laundry, catching up with cleaning, catching up with shopping or catching up with my husband (geez I gotta sort my priorities out!). I know - excuses, excuses.

But a couple of months ago I noticed a lot of chat on twitter about ThinkingSlimmer. Podcasts that help you lose weight through the power of hypnosis. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, my first attempt wasn't very succesful. I downloaded a podcast called 'drop 2 dress sizes' and away I went. I noticed quite a few changes - I made healthier choices at mealtimes, I walked more and I ate more fruit and veg. But I was still comfort eating big style. Chocolate was still my confident, my comforter and my celebration.

Not good.

So I dropped a couple of pounds but nothing spectacular. Nothing like what other people on twitter were reporting.

So I decided to give it another go. I downloaded the chocaholic podcast and started listening to it in combination with my 'drop 2 dress sizes' podcast. And this morning I had a bit of a breakthrough. It started raining about 10 minutes after I left home. Wearing flip flops. By the time I got to Regent Street I was wet, cold and feeling a wee bit sorry for myself. Now, normally this would warrant at least a latte and a chocolate croissant. But this morning, despite passing two chocolate croissant purchasing opportunities, I didn't bother. I thought about it. But then realised that no chocolate croissant, no matter how gorgeous and buttery and flakey, would dry my hair or warm my feet or change my fit flops into something more sensible.

This may sound trivial. Or even downright obvious. But to me, it was a bit of an epiphany. For the first time in a long time I didn't turn to food to make me feel better.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to start losing that baby weight. Skinny here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on in, the water's lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin